Positive Spirituality in Health Care
Nine Practical Approaches to Pursuing Wholeness for Clinicians, Patients, and Health Care Organizations
The last twenty years have witnessed significant growth in interest and research about spirituality, health, and health care. Clinicians and health care leaders… physicians, nurses, counselors, practitioners of integrative medicine, administrators and others… often appreciate this progress, but frequently say that they are not sure how to bring spirituality into their professional work, citing lack of time, training and skill.
Positive Spirituality in Health Care offers a fresh, holistic and practical framework for the integration of spirituality in health care.
Dr. Craigie proposes that excellent spiritual care arises from three arenas; the personal groundedness and spiritual well-being of clinicians, the clinical encouragement of patients’ spiritual resources, and the organizational cultivation of spirited leadership and “soul.” In an approachable and conversational tone, he presents stories, interview transcripts, research perspectives and wisdom from experience in describing specific strategies that will enable readers to refine their skills in each of these three arenas.
Some key sections of the book address:
- How clinicians and health care leaders make unique and substantial contributions to spiritual care.
- How the spiritual well-being of clinicians, patients, and health care organizations are indispensible elements of great spiritual care.
- Ways that clinicians and health care leaders can nurture their own wellness and wholeness by staying connected to personal purpose, cultivating meaningful qualities of character, and grounding themselves in healing intention and presence.
- Practical clinical approaches to spiritual inquiry across the life cycle, with particular reference to understanding patients’ spiritual resources.
- A practical three-step template for spiritual care conversations that is rooted in patients’ values and goals, and develops healing approaches by bringing together patients’ wisdom, with the expertise and wisdom of clinicians.
- A clinically-oriented conversation about transcendence… letting go, willingness/acceptance, mindfulness, non-attachment, serenity, spiritual surrender, gratitude, and forgiveness… and about how to help patients with the complementary journeys of transcending personal struggles and moving forward in directions that reflect their deepest values.
- Qualities of empowering organizational leadership and organizational “soul” that can make health care organizations great places to work and great places to be a patient… and how to cultivate these qualities.
Positive Spirituality in Health Care will be a source of affirmation, refreshment, inspiration and practical tools for all clinicians and health care leaders who are passionate about supporting patients’ journeys toward healing and wholeness.